Welcome to The Adventures of Bobby and George..

Welcome to The Adventures of Bobby and George. Way back then i used to love to write. By writing this blog im trying to recapture that love again. So here are our adventures. Our little family life. For family who live round the corner and for family that dont. For our children to read when they've grown. But really just to write. Hope you enjoy x

Friday 25 May 2012

My Dad x


I love my Dad. Like really love him. I love him with that fierce love, the one that gets you right in your belly. I feel so protective of him.Like if anyone were to criticise him i would jump on them. I know my sister and brother think this too.
He's a man of another generation, a generation gone by.
What he lacks in cleaning and any sort of cooking skills (although he's a machine with the George Foreman) He makes up in other areas. Like he'll always try and carry my bags(i generally have at least 2 bags and at least 1 child on me most of the time).
He'll never ever ever let me pay for my meal if we go out for dinner. He told me off the other day and said "Lucy. You don't need to open your purse when your with me."Very sternly actually. And he's not stern often.But when he is, he is.
Like when I was a teenager and I'd try and have a bit of a moan about my mum, he'd always tell me off, saying i shouldn't say that about my mum. They have been divorced for around 25 years. I've never heard him say a bad word about her. That's the sort of man he is. Always respectful.
He's bailed me out so many times. Soo many times.
Like when i was teenager, I'd ring him if I'd had an argument with my boyfriend. I'd be stood there crying on the street and he'd take me home, Gently.
He's a true gent my dad.
I feel so blessed to have him.
I know he's not perfect. He's a recovering alcoholic but he's been dry for coming up to 14 years.
I love the way he treats people. He has time for everyone. He meets all sorts of people, i remember him bringing an homeless man to church once and i guarantee he would treat that man just as he would treat someone famous who he'd meet through AA or Bradford city. I know he looks at people in those desperate situations and thinks if it weren't for the grace of God.
I moved in with my dad in my late teens,we lived off Emmerdale and pasta pesto until he said he didn't really like that green stuff i made him.Back to the slow cooked beef stew he would make and keep it on the go all week. That we all grimaced at but secretly tucked into.
My dad was there for me when no one else was.
I saw him frustrated at situations he could do nothing to change.
I know this is a heavy one. Sorry about that. Its just sometime you realise that life is short, and if you have a hero than you must tell them that.
Dad you are my hero. Thankyou x


6 comments:

  1. Graham is a top top man, it's just a shame that I never see him anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Jonny he is! hope life is treating you well in London Town

      Delete
  2. A beautifully written post. you carry so many of your Dad's charactisitics Lucy, i've never met him but if he's as you described here, I see a lot of him in you...apart from maybe the need to shave..........he he.
    lovely to hear about the love you have for your Daddy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful tribute. He is so blessed to have such an appreciative daughter. Send him our love at this sad time x x

    ReplyDelete